Amazon Alexa Custom Skills
Amazon provides an SDK for their Alexa devices that you can use to create your own Alexa Custom Skill. Custom Skills are used to interact with Alexa devices in a variety of ways. For example, with TIBCO Scribe® Request/Reply Maps, you can verbally interact with Integration Solutions to create, fetch, or verbally report on data across your integrated systems.
This document contains programming examples provided by TIBCO Scribe® for illustrative purposes only. TIBCO Scribe® grants you a nonexclusive copyright license to use all programming code examples from which you can generate similar functionality tailored to your own specific needs.
These examples have not been thoroughly tested under all conditions and are provided to you "AS IS" without any warranties of any kind. Therefore, TIBCO Scribe® cannot guarantee or imply reliability, serviceability, or functionality of these programs. The implied warranties of non-infringement, merchantability, and fitness for a particular purpose are expressly disclaimed.
To use and view the Amazon Alexa Custom Skill you must have the following:
- TIBCO Scribe® Organization
- Event Solution API access enabled
If you are using a Custom Skill with a TIBCO Scribe® Sandbox Trial Account, Event Solution API access should already be enabled. To verify or enable access see Enabling Event Solution API Access To TIBCO Scribe®.
Using The TIBCO Scribe® Labs — Amazon Alexa Custom Skill
Access the Amazon Alexa Custom Skill code by clicking this link: TIBCO Scribe® Labs — Amazon Alexa Custom Skill.
When you created your trial in STIBCO Scribe®, some sample data was created for you, including:
- Sample CRM Connector
- Sample Marketing Connector
To use the Alexa Custom Skill you must first do some work in the TIBCO Scribe® UI.
- Log into TIBCO Scribe®.
- Create a new Integration Event Solution.
- Scroll down to the Maps section of the Solution.
- Import the Example_ScribeOnlineMapsforAlexa Map from GitLab.
- Open the Map and select Apply to save it and create your endpoint URL.
- Select the Wait for Request Block.
- At the bottom of the Properties panel, locate the Endpoint URL, and copy it. This is the URL where the Alexa Custom Skill sends a request.
- Use this URL to update the Lambda Function to point your Custom Skill at the right place.
Setup your Alexa Custom Skill using the details found on the Amazon Developer portal. You can access the custom Intent schema, custom slot type, sample utterance and Lambda code on GitLab.
Before using this application, log into TIBCO Scribe® and enable Event Solution Access, as follows:
- From the menu, select More > Security.
- From the Security page select Add. A new row displays in the Rule table.
- Make sure the Event Solution Access check box is checked. This grants access TIBCO Scribe® Endpoint URLs for the selected IP Address range.
- Enter a starting and ending range of IP Addresses. Only those IP Addresses are granted access.
To allow access to IPv6 addresses, enter the entire IPv4 range of 0.0.0.0 to 255.255.255.255.
- Select Close to exit.
Enabling access takes approximately five minutes to take effect.